Monday 17 November 2014

#secondhandfirst : day 1

Welcome to day 1 of Traid's #secondhandfirst campaign!  For those who've never heard of Traid, you can check out their website over here.  The idea of #secondhandfirst is to pledge to wear a proportion of your clothes second hand this week, to raise awareness of the damage of our disposable fashion society, both socially in the developing world and environmentally here at home.

This is a subject about which I feel especially passionate.  I try to buy as much of my wardobe as possible second hand and when I can't buy second hand, I try to buy responsibly made and ethically produced.  I'm trying to invest more in good quality, ideally British made items that will last a life time and supplement these purchases with second hand clothing.  Being able to alter or make my clothes offers up a variety of thrifting opportunities, some of which you'll see this week!

Taken straight from Traid's website:

TRAID is a charity working to stop clothes from being thrown away. We turn clothes waste into funds and resources to reduce the environmental and social impacts of our clothes. It is a circular and sustainable approach to the problems of clothes waste tackling disposal, production and consumption by:-
o    Increasing clothes reuse across the UK reducing waste, carbon emissions and consumption
o    Funding international development projects to improve conditions and working practices in the textile industry
o    Educating people of all ages about the impacts of textiles on the environment and people’s lives, and how we can make more sustainable choices
Without further ado then, my first contribution to #secondhandfirst.  I pledged 20% of my wardrobe secondhand this week, meaning essentially 1 second hand item a day.  Unfortunately, due to dark wintery weather and long work days, expect to see a lot of flash photography this week!

Amy

Outfit stats: Firetrap jeans thrifted from Shelter.  Handknit by me Kate Davies Owls sweater.

4 comments:

  1. Great outfit, the jeans are wonderful and the jumper is a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great cause, and your outfit is cute :) I'm really bad at buying second hand, I almost never find anything in my size, but I admit that I seldom bother to search either. Reducing textile waste and improving the working conditions of textile workers is something I feel really passionate about though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely found that the more often I look, the more you find so you should definitely get out there!

      Delete